- North Carolina district attorney Mike Nifong, infamous for his mishandling of the Duke lacrosse case, has announced his intent to resign.
- A 73-year old man in India failed his 10th grade high school exams for the 39th time.
- A 2-year old in California was accidently served a margarita in his sippy cup at a restaurant.
- A woman in New Hampshire chased down and restrained a rabid fox that had bitten her daughter. The woman kept it restrained for 10 minutes before police arrived and shot it.
- China has censored part of the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie for "villifying and defacing the Chinese."
- 1752: Benjamin Franklin proves that lightning is electricity.
- 1775: George Washington is appointed commander-in-chief of the Continental Army.
- 1836: Arkansas is admitted as the 25th U.S. state.
- After being swept in the NBA Finals, the Cleveland Cavaliers have a renewed interest in Sacramento's Mike Bibby.
- For the 5th time, the Red Wings' Nicklas Lidstrom won the Norris Trophy as the NHL's top defenseman.
- Rocket Watch: Roger Clemens will start tonight's game for the Yankees against the Mets. The Yankees are looking for their 10th straight win.
- Baseball tonight: Tigers (37-28) @ Phillies (35-31); Jeremy Bonderman (6-0, 3.63 ERA) vs. Jon Lieber (3-4, 3.72 ERA).