Thursday, August 2, 2007

The Harbaugh Situation.

Well, everybody else has their opinions of what Benedict Harbaugh said, and what guys like Hart, LC, and Jamie Morris had to say about what Benedict Harbaugh had to say. So I might as well weigh in.

First, here is what the traitor had to say back in May:

“Michigan is a good school and I got a good education there,” he said, “but the
athletic department has ways to get borderline guys in and, when they’re in,
they steer them to courses in sports communications. They’re adulated when
they’re playing, but when they get out, the people who adulated them won’t
hire them.”

Okay...so he praises the school that gave him a future...and then criticizes them two seconds later? "Won't hire them"? Oh...I guess you're the exception, Jimmy?

For the most part, this was much ado about nothing, until Big Ten Media Day rolled around, and Michigan's motor mouth (I use that term lovingly, since I love that about Mike) Mike Hart fired back at Harbaugh, and he left no room for interpretation with his words (Lloyd quotes are along for the ride):



Coach Lloyd Carr said Tuesday he believed Harbaugh's statements were
"elitist,'' "arrogant'' and "self-serving.''

Hart added: "That's a guy I have no respect for.''

Talking to reporters at the Big Ten media days inside the Hyatt Regency
Hotel, both Hart and Carr vented, although to be fair to the Michigan coach, he
had to be coaxed into it by multiple questions about the comments.

"You graduate from the University of Michigan and you're going to talk about
your school like that? A great institution like we have, to say we're not true
student-athletes?'' Hart asked. "It's coming from a guy that, I don't know ...
maybe he wants to coach here and he's mad that he didn't get a job here?''

Hart went on: "It's funny to me, because he just said we're not
student-athletes, then he accepts one of our transfers (quarterback Jason
Forcier). What sense does that make? He obviously wants guys like us at his
school; he's just mad that he can't get them.

"It's nothing against Stanford, it's just that ... I don't know, I just have
no respect for that guy. I don't know how you can say that."


I was more than a little upset with Mike Hart after the loss to OSU last year when he made comments that could only be described as those of a sore loser, but I've come to realize that Mike Hart is what Jim Harbaugh used to be: A Michigan Man. There is no doubt in my mind that Mike Hart's blood is maize and blue-colored, and he will leave his heart and soul on the field every Saturday this year. And years down the road, after Mike's done with football, he's not going to stab his alma mater in the back like Benedict Harbaugh did.

The cherry on top is what Jamie Morris - the running back Harbaugh handed off to for three years - said.
DetNews Link

Former Michigan tailback Jamie Morris, who played with Harbaugh and considered him a close friend, said the two no longer speak.

"We've dissolved our friendship," Morris said.

Morris said Harbaugh called him shortly after those remarks were published.

"I said, 'Jim, here's my question for you -- do you really believe the comments you said, or are you saying them to make you look good?' " said Morris, who works in the Michigan athletic development department.

"He said, 'I believe them.' And I said, 'Would you have said it if (former Michigan coach) Bo (Schembechler) was alive?' He said, 'That's not the point.' And I said, 'That's exactly the point. You didn't hurt Michigan, you hurt your coach, and you hurt the guys you played with. These are the teammates you turned your back on.' "

Morris said Harbaugh became upset.

"We said, 'We're not friends anymore,' " Morris said. " 'You lose my number, I lose yours.' "


Thank you Mr. Morris, for mentioning Bo. I can only imagine what Benedict's reaction was when Jamie Morris said "Bo". I would hope a cold knot formed in his stomach, and he realized what a jackass he's been by trashing the University of Michigan.

If not...well then that only confirms what I now believe, given his comments:

Jim Harbaugh is no Michigan Man. Mike Hart was right.

No comments: