Ed. note: I hate the Big Ten Network. Not because I don't get it (since I do), but because it's such a poorly run organization, and their cameras are horrible for the games they air. They're constantly zooming in and zooming out and placed at bizarre angles, making my Hart Charting even more tedious. And the Eastern Michigan and Purdue games are on the BTN for the next two weeks, with others certain to follow. Sigh.
Anyway, Hart Chart:
|2||right||1-10||-1||-||Massey, Schilling, McAvoy|
|4||left||1-10||4||Kraus, Boren, Schilling||-|
|6||right||2-9||3||Schilling, McAvoy||Butler, Boren|
|9||left||1-10||4||Long, Kraus, McAvoy||Boren|
|10||left||2-6||2||Long, Kraus, Moundros||-|
|11||middle||1-10||5||Kraus, McAvoy/Schilling||Boren, Massey|
|12||middle||2-3||-2||-||McAvoy, Kraus, Long, Massey|
|13||left (SG)||2-10||9||Long, Kraus||-|
|14||middle||1-10||0||-||Butler, Kraus, Long, Boren|
|16||right||2-4||18||Schilling, McAvoy, Boren, Long, Massey||Kraus|
|21||left||1-10||2||Long, Kraus, Boren||McAvoy|
|23||right*||2-8||23||McAvoy, Kraus, McLaurin||-|
|24||left||1-G||1-TD||Long, Kraus, Butler||-|
Again, chart stops after Hart's TD made it 28-16; all runs after that (6 total) were clock killers.
Notes to know:
- Carry 11: McAvoy and Schilling double-teamed the same guy. Half "yay" for each.
- Carry 13: "(SG)" = shotgun formation.
- Carries 15 and 23: The plays were designed to the left and right, respectively, but Hart completely cut back to the opposite side. In "By the numbers" (below), the carries are allotted to where the play was designed, and the yards are allotted to the direction in which they were gained.
Left: 12 carries, 49 yards, TD
Middle: 5 carries, 9 yards
Right: 7 carries, 33 yards
- Lots of stalemates this game, hence the overall numbers are down.
- A pretty disappointing performance, especially considering the +14 against Penn State, whose defense is many times better.
- Start looking ahead to see what defensive tackles we're playing...because Justin Boren will be driven back by them many times.
- Our tight ends aren't very good at blocking at all. Massey is also now gone for the season (knee); Butler was better against Penn State, which is enigmatic.
- Even Jake had a down game...but was still the best guy on the line, as usual.
- Schilling looked better.